top of page

Planning Applications & Permits – Jersey

Updated: Mar 1

Archirondel Beach,Jersey

This blog entry aims to provide homeowners with a broad explanation of the planning process associated with extension and refurbishment projects.

Pre-application Planning Advice

This is a mechanism through which homeowners can submit an initial proposal for feedback and advice before submitting a formal application. We recommend this be applied for via email or online via the Planning and Building Portal in order to receive written advice. The following information should be included when applying for pre-application advice:

  • Application form

  • Site and location maps showing existing buildings and features

  • Information on existing and proposed uses, floor spaces and occupation

  • Photographs of the proposed site, any existing buildings and the surrounding area

  • Sketch drawings showing elevations, floor plans, access, parking arrangements, architectural treatment and materials

Householder Planning Permit

This type of application is simplified process for proposals to expand or modify a residential property.

No tall alterations or extensions are subject to planning permission. Permitted Development Rights enable homeowners to make certain alterations or add extensions that do not require planning approval. We recommend you check with the planning department to confirm whether these rights have been removed by a condition on a previous Planning Permit.

When is consent necessary?

Typical works subject to Planning Approval include:

  • Extensions and outbuildings

  • New or altered access

  • Garden fences and walls

  • Swimming pools - if outside of permitted development requirements

  • Replacement windows and doors

  • New materials or solar panels and rooflights

  • Works or operations to sites of special interest

What information is required to inform a Householder Application?

The information required for this type of application varies depending on the type of alterations proposed. Minimum information required include:

  • Application Form – Apply for changes to your home (P2)

  • Location Map – This needs to show the site and surrounding area. This can be purchased from the planning department.

  • Existing and Proposed Site Plan – This will need to show the proposed development in detail, such as the location and size of extensions.

  • Existing and Proposed Floor Plans

  • Existing and Proposed Elevations

  • Correct Application Fee – this is assessed on a case by case basis

How long does it take to receive a decision?

The determination period for a Householder or minor planning application is 8 weeks. This begins once the application has been validated by your local authority.

What if your property is listed, is in a Conservation area or Area of Special Interest?

If you are looking to make alterations or propose an extension to a listed building you will need to provide the information as listed above as well as further details relating to the following (if applicable):

Heritage Impact Statement to include:

  • An assessment and understanding of the site’s heritage value. In the case of Listed buildings, this may also include its interior

  • Assessment of the impact of the proposed development, whether beneficial, harmful or negligible on the Listed building or place

  • Demonstration of how the design of the proposed development has been shaped by a consideration of the building’s heritage value and how adverse impacts have been avoided, mitigated or reduced

Doors and Windows:

  • Provide a description of the likely age and state of repair of each window or door to be replaced and a justification for each replacement setting out why it is considered to be beyond repair

  • An elevational scaled drawing and photograph of the existing window(s) and door(s) to be replaced individually and within the context of the façade

  • Elevational scaled drawing of each replacement window(s) and door(s) at a scale of 1:20 and joinery details at a scale of 1:5, with details as to how, in the case of windows, they are to open

Works to interiors:

  • Historic joinery fittings such as staircases, fireplace surrounds, doors, moulded architraves, wall panelling and internal window shutters

  • Historic structural timber features such as ceiling beams and joists, original timber roof frames and early wide floorboards

  • Historic decorative plasterwork ceiling mouldings, cornices and central roses

  • Historic ironwork such as fireplace grates and fire surrounds

  • Integral original stonework features such as fireplaces, niches and stairs

  • A distinctive or innovative plan form dating from before 1850

Archaeological Impact Statement to include:

  • Set out an assessment and understanding of current information for the site’s heritage value to assess the archaeological significance, determine the likely deposits and their potential survival

  • Define the scope and assess the impact of the proposed development, whether beneficial, harmful or negligible, on the Listed place or area of archaeological potential

  • Propose suitable mitigation measures to demonstrate how the archaeological value of the site can be preserved, managed or recorded and how adverse impacts have been avoided, mitigated or reduced

We recommend you check whether a building has Listed or has archaeological potential via the online Listed building or place register. Applying for pre-application advice is also recommended, this often lists the information required for a formal application.

The above lists have been sourced from the website.

Changing or amending an application

Changes to an application that has already been registered should be directed to the planning officer assigned. If the amendments are minor in nature, this should be able to be accommodated without significantly impacting the applications determination process. If the proposed amendments are considered to be significantly different to that of the original proposal the planning officer may advise you to withdraw the application and reapply.

It is worth noting that 30% of the fee will not be refundable if the application has been registered for longer than 1 week and 10% more for each additional week before withdrawal. Alternatively, you can wait to for a decision to be made (permitted or refused) and reapply.

You will be exempt form paying additional fees if you re-apply within 6 months provided that the scheme is of the same character and description.

Minor amendments to existing permits should be applied for via post or email and should include a full set of drawings. Minor amendments include:

  • Alterations to the appearance of the development, where the amendment does not result in the diminishing of the design quality or the standard of materials

  • Changes which do not result in additional impact on a neighbouring property

  • Changes which do not result in an increase in height or floor space

Certificate of Completion

This is the process of formally applying for a certification that the development has constructed in accordance with the permission granted.

What if your application gets refused?

Not all applications will be successful. If your application has been refused, you have a right to appeal through the Judicial Greffe provided you do so within 28 days of the decision notice.

We recommend you visit the Planning Applications page on the website for more information on other types of planning consent.



bottom of page